now browsing by month
Posted by: admin | Posted on: September 18, 2006
A special service to mark the beginning of the New Year, followed by ringing
in of the New Year on the church bells, and refreshments in the ringing chamber.
Special Parochial Church Meeting
- Following the recent informal meetings to discuss issues arising from my paper on Priorities for Ministry, I have consulted the Chapter about how to proceed. With their support, I have decided to convene a special Parochial Church Meeting. Initially, I thought informal meetings were a better way for us to discuss these things, but I have become aware that some people feel strongly that there should be a formal meeting at which resolutions can be passed, and have petitioned for such a meeting.
- It is important for us to find a procedure for handling these issues that is as broadly acceptable as possible. Accordingly, I give notice that it is my intention to convene a special Parochial Church Meeting at 2.00 pm on Saturday February 11th. A formal notice of the meeting will be posted in due course. Also, though this is not required, the Chapter will send a notice of the meeting to everyone on the Electoral Roll.
- There may be members of the Church who are eligible to join the Electoral Roll (eg. who are baptised and have attended worship at St Edwards for six months or more) but who have not yet applied. If so, they are welcome to do so. Forms are available at the back of the Church, and should be given to Marcus Ramshaw, the Electoral Roll Officer by Jan 19th. The meeting will be conducted on the basis of the Roll that obtains on Friday Jan 20th, when a list of names on the Roll will be posted on the Church notice-board. Fraser Watts
- Parish Communion: Please note that the 11.00 Parish Communion this month will be in January 8th, when we will keep the Feast of the Epiphany.
- The Unseen Creation: Following the success of this course last Autumn five extra sessions are being arranged to start on January 19th, at 7.30pm for 8pm. Each of these takes place on a Thursday evening at 19 Grantchester Rd. The first of these on January 19th will look at how we are to understand the Devil, does he really exist? On January 26th we will discuss Jesus’ curing of people who were possessed by demons in the Gospels. How are we to understand these stories. On February 2nd we will discuss the Paranormal: Can a Christian believe in ghosts? How does this fit in with Christian theology? On February 9th we will look at the Mystical Vision. What can we learn from Christian mystical writers and how should we approach the Book of Revelation in the New Testament – perhaps the hardest book in the Bible to understand. Finally, on February 16th we will draw together themes brought up throughout the course. There will also be a social event for those attending on February 23rd. If you wish to join the course (it doesn’t matter if you have not been before) please contact Marcus on email@example.com
- Friday Meditation: The weekly meditation will resume on Jan 6th . On that occasion the silence will be preceded by a short and simple act of Holy Communion.
- Holistic Spirituality Group: The first two meetings of the New Year will be about the psychologist, C G Jung. Both on Sundays at 3.30 pm in Church. All welcome. Further details from Fraser.
- January 22nd Patricia Elwood Jung and the Relationship to the Unconscious
- February 12th Fraser Watts Jung and Christian Renewal
- Christian Unity: The annual week of prayer for Christian Unity is from January 18th to 25th. and it will be the theme of the readings and sermon at the 11.00 am service on January 22nd.
- The Goth Eucharist: There will be a Goth Eucharist at 8.30pm for 8.45pm on Tuesday January 10th. All are very welcome to attend. It will last about forty-five minutes. More details will appear in the New Year.